« Home | Funny Dying Day » | Searching is for Pleasure » | Is Nirdu the House? » | The Feast of Bitches » | Formal CoD » | Unusual Japanese » | NJPW can go fuck itself » | Several Interesting Comments » | ICNCU-MLIAFUM » | Sabu is on My Television » 

Monday, October 24, 2005 

Is Hallowe'en Dead?

I'm sure most of my readers (all... one of you) are old enough to remember a time when Halloween was one of the biggest holidays of the year. We are a week away from All Hallows Eve, and you just wouldn't know. It used to be every store would convert a whole section into the "Halloween" section, which would be aisles of costumes, candy and related items. I remember walking into the old Shop 'n' Save and they had an entire aisle that was costumes. They had all those plastic devil pitchforks that you would pick up and start attacking your siblings with. It was great because EVERY store converted for Halloween. Every store you went to you spent time in that section pondering what costume you would wear, or what would be the "coolest". On TV it used to be constant Halloween specials leading up to the big day, every cartoon would have a special episode. No matter what channel you were on there would be a Halloween theme to the graphics. I remember as a kid in the early '90s there were tons more kids going trick-or-treating. You were struggling with like 20 other kids at each house to get your damn candy. It seemed like there were so many kids out. Last year we had 3 kids at our house and there were none out. Same damn area as when I was a kid and NOTHING!

There used to be a damn "spooky" factor to Halloween, a special aura. That is long gone now. It has slowly slipped from being such a big day, and instead is a 20-minute candy fest. Can corporations no longer find profitablity in Halloween? I don't know if it's a change in society, or the jaded view of an adult looking back at childhood with some nostalgia.

I mean even the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror is pushed back to November just like last year, that's depressing. Fucking World Series on Fox ruins the potential for a timely Treehouse of Horror. How many more years do they have that thing?

Either way, Halloween blows compared to 15 years ago. Just another day.

Odd you should mention it, but I have been meaning to change my colour scheme for a few days. I just don't have the technical knowhow to get to complicated with the layout. Didn't want to go a full year with the same layout, gotta shake it up a bit for all my Malaysian readers.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Busaiku25
  • Bangor, Maine, United States
  • My profile
Blogwise - blog directory

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates