« Home | ROH Live - Chapter 4 » | All the Fun is Gone » | I think I've got malaria » | Concise vs. Stylish » | ECW = Science Fiction wrestling? » | A Sure Thing is Never Sure » | Introducing... Mrs. KENTA!!! » | Liger Soul, Liger Smash » | One-Nil » | Films on the Horizon » 

Friday, June 09, 2006 

WORLD CUP FEVER

I'VE GOT WORLD CUP FEVER, MOTHERFUCKERS!


It's time for the pinnicle of international sports, the World Cup. This year, all of the matches will be broadcast live from Germany. This is the ultimate in international sports competition, above even the Olympics. Every country and many dependencies are involoved in qualifying for the final 32 places in the tournament. I am way more excited for this edition of the tournament than the last time around, because in the last four years I have managed to really increase my knowledge of both the sport and the structure of the FIFA system.

Now, I know soccer isn't the most exciting sport, but it really depends on how you watch it. I've really grown to appreciate it in the past twoish years. Scoring in this sport means more than in almost any other. A single goal is an event and an accomplishment, not a guaranteed and almost gloryless endeavour.

None-the-less, soccer in America equates to little coverage and little care. For the next World Cup in 2010, I want to be living somewhere where it will get some damn coverage. Since I'll be outta Japan by then, I'll probably move to Togo or Malaysia. It's got some hard competition against the NBA Finals and the... regular season baseball. They can manage to get 3000 baseball games on a year over here, but only 6 soccer matches. Not that I care, especially.

NOW, onto my sort-of predictions.
My round of 16 matchups
Germany vs Sweden
Argentina vs Portugal
Italy vs Croatia
France vs Saudi Arabia
England vs Ecuador
Mexico vs Netherlands
Brazil vs USA
Spain vs South Korea

Quarter Finals
Germany vs Argentina
Italy vs France
England vs Netherlands
USA vs Spain

Semi Finals
Germany vs Italy
Netherlands vs USA

Finals
Germany vs Netherlands

WINNERS
NETHERLANDS

I made a lot of risky picks, to be sure. But really, I don't know shit about what could happen. All I know is I don't want Brazil to win, I want someone new. Why not the Netherlands? It's a strong team and is one of the powerhouse European nations that have never one the cup, alongside Spain. With Ruud van Nistleroy leading the charge, I think the Dutch are going to win the whole thing. Or be knocked out in the first round, I really don't know. I'm watching either way.

VIVA LA COPA DE MUNDIAL!!!

About me

  • Busaiku25
  • Bangor, Maine, United States
  • My profile
Blogwise - blog directory

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates