« Home | What a month! More gold changes hands. » | Hell has entered my life... » | Der Gesetzgeber der Westküste » | In which he returns to university. » | Да, я все еще говорю о воевать » | New World Champion » | Half Thoughts » | I am the cure... » | Change Your Life » | Wrestling Awards - 2005 » 

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 

Struggling With a Surname

As I have elaborated on my disappointment with my rather bland cultural background in an earlier post, I may as well take the time to expand upon my surname.

Jordan
I may hate my cultural background, but I love my last name. Seriously, it has such a great sound at the beginning. JOR. JOR. JOR. It's so guttaral. It's so phoentic. It sounds the way it's spelled. Then it's followed by my first name. DAN. JOR-DAN. Brilliant. Look at it, love it. Sound it out. Such a seemingly bland name, a name held by oh so many. But so nonsensical. How many words in English start with the JOR combination? Sure, some start with that French 'JOUR', but I can't think of any that start with JOR. Beautiful.

In all liklihood the name originates in the Middle East with the Jordan River. Jordan is itself of Hebrew origin. It is a translation of the Hebrew name for the Jordan River, which is Yarden. Though I don't know exactly how it became adopted into the Anglo-Celtic name frame in the British Isles, I'd like to believe that some crusader accomponying Richard the Lionheart adopted the name from the region. It happened all the time in the crusader states, since last names were generally not used at the time and only nobles used them to distinguish what lands they reigned over. Though I can not be sure.

See, I have to try and make my familial history more exciting since it seems so boring to me. Granted it's not necessarily boring per se, as I've seen a brief summation of the history of my branch of the Jordans in America and there were some real interesting personalities in there. I just need to tie myself into the crusaders, one of my favorite periods of history.

Well I've rambled on enough.

David St. Hubbins: What's that on your finger?
Nigel Tufnel: It's my gum.
David St. Hubbins: What are you doing with it on your finger?
Nigel Tufnel: I might need it later.
David St. Hubbins: Put it on the table, that's terrible.
Nigel Tufnel: No, I might forget it on the table.
David St. Hubbins: [to Marty] Fucking awful, you can't take him anywhere.

About me

  • Busaiku25
  • Bangor, Maine, United States
  • My profile
Blogwise - blog directory

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates